">

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Just A Crush...?

Casual love, dating, boyfriends, girlfriends, kissing, the whole kaboosh = normal (?!)

*Ahem*
Objection!

Should this really be the norm?

Should Christian teens follow the world's example of relationships just because it is so common, so universally accepted without a second thought?

I think not, my friends.

I have somewhat gone over this issue in my post entitled, "Dating 101", but that was mainly on dating vs. courtships.
Today's post is a little different.

I have a feeling we've all been there at some point.

Ya meet a guy, think he's attractive, get all googly eyed, and write his name and yours in the margins of your science notebook with hearts all around it.

I am extremely ashamed to admit that yes... I've behaved in this foolish way.

"Ok, Savannah. You're just being wayyy too strict and judgmental and you have unrealistic expectations! You just don't understand! I can't help liking him (or her)!"

Ummm... sorry to burst your bubble, but ya you can control your emotions.

It may seem impossible but you can do it.
It just takes a lot of work, patience, and prayer.

Are "crushes" even Biblical?

A crush is known as an infatuation or attraction to someone of the opposite gender being taken to the extreme.

Sure, there is nothing wrong with being attracted to someone! I mean, you're going to court and marry someone at some point, so obviously you will have feelings for that person!

But there is a difference between that and an infatuation with a certain someone.

Infatuation: A dangerous emotional "disease" which involves being so attracted to someone that you become obsessed and almost addicted. They are all you think about and all you do is write their name everywhere, talk about them, dream about them, and even plan your future wedding (which most likely won't even happen).

----Definition from... well, me.

Been there, done that?

Ya... me too.

So now our goal is to not make that mistake, again.

Why is "infatuation" wrong?

1. It is making an idol of someone. Holding them up to a standard of perfection and even sometimes placing them above God.

Biblical evidence? 
Check out the first commandment in Exodus 20:3,  which says: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

By 'gods', the Lord doesn't just mean golden statues of deformed half-animal, half-man things.
He is referring to anything that you place before Him.

2. It takes over your life. At this time in your life, you don't need to constantly being thinking or worrying about guys. Being single is the one chance you have to completely set your focus on God! And also school, if you have that. ;-).
The last thing we, as teens, need to be doing is obsessing over some guy that's most likely not even worth your time!

3. It's just plain creepy. I mean, come on! What normal, sane human being wants someone constantly thinking about them and photoshopping their picture with their own to see if they make a good couple?! Personally, I would be a little freaked out...

It's getting late and I need a shower (ya I know... too much information), so I better wrap this post up.

The Bottom Line: Teens, God should be your main focus, not the opposite gender, as tempting and difficult as it is!

As I said before, there is nothing wrong with "liking" someone, as long as it doesn't take priority in your life and is all you think and dream about!

No comments:

Post a Comment