">

Thursday, May 22, 2014

3 Day Juice Cleanse--- Day One

Hey guys!

So much to my own surprise, I decided to do a juice cleanse for 3 days and my mom decided to join me, so at least I have that extra motivational support!

We borrowed a juicer from one of my mom's friends and it took a little while for Mom to  finish frantically pushing random buttons to turn it off because juice and veggies were pouring out everywhere  get used to the machine.

I must admit that when I read the recipes I was somewhat excited! I mean, come on! Doesn't homemade carrot, ginger, and apple juice sound good?

Much to my disappointment the juice was certainly not as delicious and satisfying as I had hoped...

We are following the "Joe Cross' 3 Day Weekend Juice Cleanse" (see link below for further details on the benefits and cautions of a juice cleanse).

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/joe-cross-3-day-weekend-juice-cleanse

Despite my mother's many warnings, I did not do a pre-cleanse diet, a few days prior to juicing, such as staying away from meat, bread, dairy, caffeine, and sugar, and suffered rather severe side effects because of it.

May this be a lesson for juicing newbies who happened upon this humble little blog.

Don't say I didn't warn you!




For those of you who are interested, here was my "food" schedule for the day:

Pre-Breakfast: Lemon and Cayenne Pepper in warm water (Lemon has amazing acidic properties aiding in kick starting your digestive system, while cayenne pepper helps with regulating blood sugar, kick-starts your metabolism, and yes, aids with weight loss! It also boosts my energy and prepares my body for the day.)

*I did my workout before my breakfast juice, which apparently is when you're supposed to do it while juicing. You're technically not supposed to be working out at all during a juice cleanse, but my body is so used to a daily workout now that I don't want to stop... so I'm just doing a lighter routine that I typically do.

Breakfast: Carrot Apple Ginger Juice- 3 carrots, 2 apples, 1 inch piece of ginger root

Lunch: Gazpacho Juice- 4 tomatoes, 1 lg cucumber, 2 celery stalks, 1 red bell pepper, 1/4 cup red onion, 2 cups parsley, 1 lime

Afternoon Snack: Citrus Inspired Green Juice- 6-8 leaves kale, 8 leaves swiss chard, 1 cucumber, 6 clementines, (or a few oranges)

Dinner: Sunset Blend Juice- 1 sweet potato, 1 carrot, 1 red bell pepper, 2 red beets, 2 apples, 1 orange (optional)

So ya... that's what I "ate" today. The juices weren't actually that bad... the after taste was worse than the actual drinking part. The lunch juice (Gazpacho) was an exception- my mom and I absolutely could not stand it! I was gagging about 3 sips into it, it was so awful. Maybe because it was all veggies and didn't have that sweet, tangy flavor the fruit gives. But whatever the reason, it was horrible.

I drank about 8-9 glasses of water, today, to stay hydrated and to ward off annoying hunger pains.

Side Effects:

-Headache
-Tiredness/grogginess
-Irritability
-Hunger Pangs (obviously)
-Slight nausea

I am hoping (and praying) that tomorrow will be much better as far as side effects. I've read that the second day is when you start feeling more refreshed and energized although the hunger pangs will worsen (yay...). I honestly don't see how they could get any worse, though! Almost all of today, I was craving a Whopper from Burger King, which is not normal coming from me.

Looking forward to a nice warm cup of peppermint tea before bed is what kept me going all day! Thank goodness drinking herbal tea at night is allowed! I can't wait to drink it! (My goodness I never thought I would be this excited over hot tea.)

I will update ya'll tomorrow and maybe this will encourage those interested in doing a juice cleanse... that is, if I survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment